There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, September 3, 2011

First week in Korea/Cupping

So far everything is going great! The morning after arrival we started working, which was fun, tiring, and stressful. I teach 6 year old kindergarden girls in the morning, followed by elementary to high school kids in the afternoon. So far the girls have really warmed up too me and are energetic but well behaved. The older kids are cool too, but I haven't spent as much time with them because they are only in this school for around two hours every other day. On Monday I get to teach them with out the help of the other teachers. I'm excited but there is a lot of lesson plans and things to get organized. They kind of just throw you in and hope you swim. The additional teachers work is still confusing to me, but I think I'm really going to like this job.

Deborah, the 4 other English teachers, and I went out Friday night and did the usual which entails eating a lot of beef and drinking too much soju. The other teachers seem really fun and interesting and I'm excited to get to know them better.

Deborah and I went to the world famous Dragon Hill Spa on Saturday morning. This is one of my favorite places ever. It's only 12 dollars and you get to walk around naked all day long! When you first get to the spa, the men and women go there separate ways to take a shower. After you get all washed up you can jump into several different temperaute tubs or go into a sauna (totally naked and with a tons of Korean men of course). The idea is to alternate between hot and cold tubs untill you start to feel uphoric and tingly. This is good for you, or so they say.

After that you put on some pajamas looking lounge clothes and go downstairs. This is where the large communal lounge is. People usually just hang out down here and sleep on the hard floor. Downstairs there are also about 10 hot rooms ranging from about 80 degrees to nearly unbareably hot (this room was so hot when we first got there that it burned my hands and feet and I had to get our after only minute). So that's what we did for 6 hours. There is also a few resturaunts, an arcade, video golf room, nail place, swimming pool, masage tables and chairs, sleeping rooms, baraber shop, and cupping therapy. I decided to do the cupping.

That's the aftermath. I got a good cupping. The suction from the hot cups is suppose to remove toxins from your blood. It hurt and it made me throw up, so I guess it does something!

I'm at a PC room and my time is running out so I'll update again in a few days.
Thanks for reading!

P.S. The marks stayed on my back for over a month!


  1. Hey Ryan and Deborah, glad you guys had a good first week. Sounds like you are really going to like your job, little six year old cute, that's a good age to work with I'm sure.
    I wish they had spa's like that here in the US, and so cheap. You should make going there a "weekly" thing to unwind after a stressful week of teaching. Except for that suction cup thing, it looks really painful and they did so many on your back looks like a weird tattoo, you have to say how long it takes for those marks to go away. Thanks for the update, I enjoy reading your yip yips.
    Love, Jeri :o)

  2. It should be a great job! And don't worry, I'm sure we'll be going to the spa all the time. I love it so.... I'm not really sure how long it takes for those cupping marks to go away. They are like giant hickies so I'm sure they take a few weeks to disapear. Miss you guys!


  3. Glad you had a good first week. Have fun teaching this week hope everything goes great. RYAN no more cupping!!! Miss you guys!! Dori is doing fine! Love ya's